Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: LF-2 Coffee Table Sub Pictures

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thought I'd share some pictures of the LF-2 Coffee Table Subwoofer I just finished restoring. Included below are links to the images.

    I completely dismembered it (measured the internal volume to be exactly 6 cubic feet), siliconed ALL internal seams to make it airtight, refitted the hardware for the base, and stripped and refinished the top and sides. As has been mentioned, the wood is Endrianna veneer that?s been diamond matched. The pattern ripples as you walk around it in an uncanny way. The woofer is the stock Model 14 woofer just reconed by Bill. Its being powered by the original 80 watt Altec amp that has a switchable internal crossover (40hz, 60hz,80hz).


    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...ecs/table1.jpg

    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...ecs/table2.jpg
    http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...ecs/table3.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice cabinet or table. I was just wondering : how many woofers do you have inside the table?

    ..................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Convergence,
    The LF-2 has one Model 14 woofer mounted in a downfiring position. You can see the edge of the woofer frame in image number 3. The cabinet is ported with a 4 inch port next to the woofer.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Jim, that is a gorgeous restoration of a fairly rare Altec!

    Does it sound as good as it looks?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Beautiful Jim! One thing though, unless you live alone you must have second thoughts about actually letting it being used AS a coffee table. Cups of coffee and glasses of water will surely mess it up even with coasters. Just sayin'.

    Anyway, it is just gorgeous!

    Russ

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    forums forums

    Bet that ripple effect's cool! Well done Jim!

    Do your drinks ripple when it plays?

    IIRC, the LF-1 had a dual-coil driver so you could integrate both channels in a mono sub. Anybody seen a dual coil Altec lately?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    LF-2 Coffee Table Sub Pictures


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I remember drinking Ripple. Nasty stuff.

    Pagan Pink If I remember...

    Nice pics BTW.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Does it sound as good as it looks?"

    Sure does! Its got an authorative deep sound but not at all "processed subwoofery" in the way, say, a Velodyne does. Not that Velodyne is bad, I just mean the Altec has a natural sort of sound.

    "...unless you live alone you must have second thoughts about actually letting it being used AS a coffee table. Cups of coffee and glasses of water will surely mess it up even with coasters. Just sayin'."

    I actually have both an LF-1 and an LF-2. The LF-1 has been in the livingroom paired up with a pair of Model 8's for several years (I have yet to restore the finish on that one) and the wife loves it (thank god). The table is 36" square and its covered by a 3/8 piece of plate glass. Even so I watch it like a hawk.

    "Do your drinks ripple when it plays?."

    The thing is sturdy as all get out and dead as a doornail. Never had a beverage even quiver. The best is when I tell people that the table is a speaker...they are totally confused.


    "I remember drinking Ripple. Nasty stuff."

    Nasty, yea, but it was the only game in town in 1972 and definitely got the job done.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jim Butler:

    "Do your drinks ripple when it plays?."

    The thing is sturdy as all get out and dead as a doornail. Never had a beverage even quiver.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I play movies through my stereo. If I had a an LF-1 or LF-2, I think I'd be a little disappointed if liquid didn't ripple when playing Jurassic Park :-)

  10. #10
    Inactive Member BrownBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2003
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your LF-2 looks great! I always wanted one many moons ago, glad you are enjoying yours.

    Ray

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.